Recreation NL Supports ParticipACTION’s New Make Room For Play Campaign
January 20, 2015
Department of Seniors, Wellness and Social Development partners with ParticipACTION.
January 20, 2015| Recreation NL
Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador (Recreation NL), provincial partner with ParticipACTION since 2008, is pleased to see the Department of Seniors, Wellness and Social Development partner with ParticipACTION’s new Make Room For Play Campaign.
On average Canadian children are spending 7.5 hours a day in front of a screen, which has become a huge barrier for them to participate in physical activities. The new ParticipACTION Campaign messages are clear, our children and youth need to just get out there and play. Making room for play and fitting in activity can be as simple as going sliding, walking or hiking with friends.
Recreation NL will continue to communicate this message across the province by offering a Find Your Fit 30-Day Community Physical Activity Challenge in April. This challenge will engage all ages to be more active and help further demonstrate why making room for play contributes to our long-term wellbeing.
- Recreation NL has been involved as a provincial partner with ParticipACTION since 2008.
- Children spend 7.5 hours a day on average in front of a screen.
- It is recommended that children spend 60 minutes a day doing some form of physical activity.
- Recreation NL’s Find Your Fit 30-Day Community Physical Activity Challenge is taking place in April.
- Blair Delaney, President of Recreation NL says, “The Make Room For Play Campaign and the provincial government’s involvement in supporting physical activity for children and youth is important to our health and well-being.”
- For more information about the Make Room For Play Campaign visit http://www.participaction.com/make-room-for-play-nl/
- For more information about Recreation NL’s Find Your Fit Campaign please visit
- Ashley Mercer, B.Rec
Recreation Coordinator, Recreation NL
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @Rec_NL