COVID-19 Alert Level 4 and the Recreation Sector
May 11, 2020
Newfoundland and Labrador has now moved into Alert Level 4
Alert Level 4 and Recreational Activities:
- Recreational angling and hunting are permitted.
- Golf courses can open with restrictions in place.
- Municipal parks are open.
- Playground equipment in municipal parks is not to be used.
- Campsites remain closed.
- Gym and fitness facilities, yoga studios, tennis and squash facilities, arenas, dance studios and performance spaces remain closed.
- Outdoor activities, including walking, hiking, or riding your bike, are encouraged as long as physical distancing can be maintained and you are not required to self-isolate for any reason.
For further information, please click here.
Re-Opening Plan – Alert Level 4
Here is an update on what’s been happening this past week on the Re-Opening Plan as Alert level 4 is launched today.
- May 11, 2020: Recreation NL hosted a Recreation Directors zoom meeting; which had more than 35 registered. This discussion will be followed up with a summary report.
- Meeting with Government Officials: Recreation NL’s Executive Director, Gary Milley participated in a meeting with government officials, Friday, May 8 to discuss/provide input into the Re-Opening Plan as it relates to recreational activities. This was an important first step as it allowed Recreation NL to provide them with many of the issues and concerns that have been expressed by our members. Gary has also informed officials of Recreation NL’s member engagement and that a summary would be provided with our key findings.
- Please find below the link for risk assessment guidelines released by the Government of Canada:
Upcoming Regional Meetings
There has been discussion and confusion around the COVID-19 Alert Levels previously released by provincial government and what it means for the recreation sector. The goal of these meetings is to discuss each Alert Level, if/how communities can operate within these Alert Levels, what restrictions should/will look like and recommendations Recreation NL can advocate to the government on behalf of our membership.
To register for a meeting, please follow the link for the specific region you are in. If you have any problems registering, please contact Megan Cummings at email@example.com.
Tuesday May 12: Labrador Regional Meeting 2pm (Labrador Time)
Wednesday May 13: Western Regional Meeting 10am
Wednesday May 13: Eastern Regional Meeting 2pm
Thursday May 14: Central Regional Meeting 10am
Thursday May 14: Avalon Regional Meeting 2pm