Healthy Snack Ideas – Summer Day Camps/ After-school Programs
July 29, 2020
Are you looking for healthy snack ideas to offer at your day camp or after-school program? Here are some easy, nutritious, and affordable snack ideas that meet Canada’s Food Guide:
- Fresh fruit – examples include apples, bananas, oranges, or others which are on sale at a good price. If serving oranges, try peeling and segmenting them for younger kids.
- Canned fruit – packed in juice or light syrup.
- Frozen fruit – these are great to make smoothies, or top yogurt for yogurt parfaits.
- Dried fruit – look for 100% fruit with no sugar added. Serve dried fruit with another food like a granola bar or yogurt, if possible.
- Fruit sauce – look for 100% fruit with no added sugar, e.g., applesauce.
- Whole grain granola bars – look for options not dipped or covered in chocolate or yogurt. Examples of healthy options include: Nature Valley Lunchbox varieties, or Kashi 7 Grain with Quinoa – Chocolate Chip or Honey Oat Flax.
- Whole grain crackers. Examples of healthy options include: Christie’s Premium Plus Whole Grain, or Christie Wheat Thins 100% Whole Grain. Note: Goldfish crackers are not recommended.
- Individual yogurts
- Individual hard cheese portions or cheese strings
- Water or white milk – 100% fruit juice and chocolate milk are not recommended.