As we continue to practice public health recommendations to practice physical distancing and spend more time at home, now is the perfect opportunity to try gardening for the first time! You just might be pleasantly surprised with what you can grow.
Recreation NL has gathered information and resources for those interested in trying out their green thumb for the first time! Stay tuned over the next several months as we’ll share more information to help your garden grow.
Benefits of Gardening
Gardening is a great recreational activity that has multiple benefits including:
- keeping you physically active
- getting outside for fresh air
- increasing access to healthy food like vegetables, fruits and herbs
- improving your emotional and mental wellbeing
- learning new skills and knowledge
- being fun for the whole family!
Hear what Marystown gardeners, Gord and Susan Brockerville, have to say about the benefits of gardening and why you should start your own home garden!
Article: This is the Year to Give Gardening a Try!:
Gardening for Beginners – What You’ll Need
All you need to get started with a home garden are some simple supplies you can find at any hardware store, and even the dollar store! Here is a list of some basic tools and supplies you need to get started:
Interested in container gardening? Here’s some tips on getting started! https://www.almanac.com/content/container-gardening-vegetables
Want to build your own raised bed garden? Check out details here: https://www.almanac.com/content/how-build-raised-garden-bed
No soil? No problem! Hydroponics is a method of growing plants that does not require soil. Instead, it uses the minerals found in water to grow crops. Find out more here: https://sucseed.ca
What Are The Most Popular Crops To Grow in NL?
Some of the easiest crops to grow in our unique climate include:
- potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, onion, garlic, turnip, cabbage, beets, peas, lettuces, cucumber, celery, and edible flowers
Check out more specific growing tips on a variety of vegetables and fruit here:
Gardening 101 – Getting Started
Here are some helpful links to help get you started once you have your supplies on hand, and have decided what you’d like to grow:
Wondering how to get the kids involved? Check out these fun ideas! https://www.thetelegram.com/lifestyles/regional-lifestyles/get-growing-5-gardening-activities-to-entertain-kids-indoors-and-out-427326/
Interested in composting? Check out these tips from MMSB: https://mmsb.nl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/WEB-BackyardComposting-Guide.pdf
Other Useful Resources
- Burin Peninsula Garden Facebook group
- Heritage Gardeners Tour of Gardens Facebook group
- Backyard Vegetable Farmers NL Facebook group
- Lester’s Farm Market: http://www.lestersfarmmarket.com/index.php
- Food First NL: foodfirstnl.ca
- MUN Botanical Garden’s Gardening Information: https://www.mun.ca/botgarden/learn/gardeninginformation.php
- Murray’s Gardening Centre Resources: https://murraysgardens.com/whats-new/information-sheet/
- Little Green Thumbs: https://www.littlegreenthumbs.org/resources/
- Maritime Gardening (YouTube and Facebook)
- Savvy Gardening: savvygardening.com
- Kids Gardening https://kidsgardening.org/contact-us/