Recreation & Sport For Persons With A Disability
Recreation NL is the managing partner of the Recreation and Sport for Persons with a Disability Initiative. The Initiative was created to provide supports for physical activity, recreation and sport for persons with a disability in order to increase participation, development and access.
A steering committee, chaired by Eileen Bartlett, Recreation NL’s Special Populations Rep. works with key representatives from the recreation, sport, education, and disability sector to assist in achieving the priorities of the Initiative.
Key Initiatives of this Project
Priorities of the Initiative:
- Distribution of grants geared towards recreation and sport for persons with a disability to improve opportunities to be physically active through travel, equipment availability and increase in programs within the community
- Enhance the awareness and education about persons with disabilities within the recreation, sport, and physical activity sector
- Increase the number of persons with a disability in recreation and sport programs throughout NL
- Increase the number of recreation and sport programs, opportunities, trained leaders available for persons with a disability in the province
- Improve accessibility of events and facilities to encourage participation amongst persons with a disability in recreation and sport
- Coordination of an annual key stakeholder meeting
For more information on this initiative please contact Megan Cummings, Recreation Specialist at (709) 729-0980