Recreation NL Receives $15,000 to Attend Global Summit
May 1, 2014
Physical Activity Important for Healthy Communities
Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador Receives $15,000 to Attend Global Summit
Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador continues to work toward achieving its vision of a province of engaged communities where all people embrace the benefits of recreation to enhance their quality of life. With this in mind, the Provincial Government has provided $15,000 to enable representatives from the organization’s Physical Activity Advisory Committee, as well as representatives of the Provincial Physical Activity Coalition, to attend the 2014 Global Summit on the Physical Activity of Children, taking place in Toronto, May 19-24.
“Increasing participation in recreation and sport and physical activity is the main focus of our province’s sport and recreation strategy, and we continue to work closely with organizations such as Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador to achieve this objective. Our government is pleased to provide $15,000 to help representatives from the organization attend this worthwhile summit where they will encounter national and international expertise on improving physical activity in children and youth.”
-The Honourable Sandy Collins, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Recreation
Presented by Active, Healthy Kids Canada, the 2014 Global Summit on the Physical Activity of Children, The Power to Move Kids, will bring together leading international researchers, practitioners and policy makers from 16 countries across five continents in the field of childhood physical activity.
“Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador is delighted to have the opportunity to participate in the global summit on physical activity as it relates to children. We understand the many benefits associated with an active lifestyle, and it is important we get this message to our children at a young age. We are thankful for the support from the Provincial Government, and we look forward to learning best practices from around the globe.”
– Gary Milley, Executive Director, Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador
For more information about the summit, visit: www.activehealthykids.ca/summi
Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador is a province-wide, non-profit organization established in 1971 to promote the values and benefits of recreation. In partnership with volunteers and the professional recreation community, the organization is focused on improving the quality of recreation for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.
- Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador has received $15,000 from the Provincial Government to support stakeholders attending the 2014 Global Summit on the Physical Activity of Children, May 19-24 in Toronto.
- Increasing participation in recreation and sport and physical activity is the number one key direction of Active, Healthy Newfoundland and Labrador: A Recreation and Sport Strategy for Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Budget 2014: Shared Prosperity, Fair Society, Balanced Outlook includes $7.9 million for sport and recreation in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Since the launch of the recreation and sport strategy, approximately $192 million has been committed to recreational and sport infrastructure, programming, and athlete development throughout the province.
Director of Communications
Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation
Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador